Monday, April 20, 2009

Desperado!

On Saturday we drove to the lovely town of Primm, Nevada and then back home. Why would we do that? Well, my wonderful parents were generously giving us almost a whole cow all butchered and packaged up and ready to eat. All we had to do was meet them halfway between our house and theirs to pick it up. Of course we were willing to make that drive! Thanks again mom and dad! So, to make the trip more entertaining for the children, we stopped off at the Buffalo Bill's casino for a while. That is the home of the Desperado roller coaster, one of the highest and fastest in the world (number 10, I think). The first big drop is 225 feet almost straight down! And surprising none of us, Maylan decided she wanted to ride it. What did surprise me was that she was tall enough. It's a pretty grown-up roller coaster and she is anything but grown-up!

Here she is swinging around and awfully excited while she and Ryan were waiting to get on.



And here they are getting ready to take off, still excited.


Unfortunately, I missed the "after" picture, but she wasn't quite as giddy as the train rolled back in. Apparently it "hurt" and she was "shaken to pieces." She said she didn't regret going, but she certainly didn't want to go again! We were awfully proud of her for even trying it and now every time we drive past it (it seems like many, many times a year!), she can feel proud of herself too!

Brandon of course never even considered going on the big roller coaster. Even if he was tall enough, I don't think he would have been up for it. He did enjoy the scenic log ride with Grandma and Grandpa, though. That one was just their speed!

8 comments:

Cheri' said...

Everytime we drove through growing up I wanted to ride it also. It seemed like most of the time it was shut down because of high winds. Then one time we got lucky. It was open but it was pretty jerky and once was enough for me. Way to go Maylan for the courage to give it a try!

Elise said...

You are such good mom to make your kids lives so much fun! Oh, and free beef...totally worth it!

Shelly said...

Maylan is brave!

Fam & Friends said...

Way to go Maylan!! When that roller coaster first opened it was nice and smooth! My kids would ride over and over again. I even liked it! But over the years it has gotten rough and it does hurt! So..What does that say for safety? I'm glad you had a good time! The New York, New York coaster is the same it hurts!!!!
Love, Diane

Boyd said...

Primm is always a fun place to stop for that in between place between home and utah. We've done that rickety old coaster a few times, Maylan, you are so brave!

The Postl's said...

You guys are seriously such a fun family! I love all the great stuff you just get up and decide to do.

I have been meaning to call you and say thanks for watching Brooke but this week has been so busy for me. So Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Anytime you need me to watch your kiddos just let me know. I appreciate it so much!

Erika said...

That does not look fun to me, I am chicken! But way to go Maylan! Looks like a fun little trip! And yes, you are as smart as my kiddies...it is a dishwasher!! Look at you!

*** said...

Wow she is brave! My neck is still messed up from the rickety ride, but what fun. I know what you'll be eating for the next year, that is awesome of your parents! AND, that bubble pit pictures are priceless!!! What a fun thing to do, Kennedy loved seeing them. She said "Oh no, Brandon has his clothes on in the bubble bath" :)