Monday, April 19, 2010

A piano!

I took piano lessons as a child (never really got all that good, unfortunately) and I always assumed that my kids would take lessons, too, some day. But the years passed by and we were still without a piano in our home. I decided it was time to get serious about getting a piano and getting Maylan started on lessons when my good friend who teaches piano informed me that she was going to have an opening and it could be Maylan's! Yay! Unfortunately for me, Ryan could care less if we owned a piano or not. And he didn't want to spend a lot of money on one, either. That's where Craigslist comes in! Last Saturday, we became the proud owners of this beauty:
She's no Steinway, but she is ours and we've grown to love her. I wouldn't say it was love at first sight, either, though. The painted brown finish took a little getting used to! But the price was right. We got it for nothing! I think it was meant to be ours because I saw the listing on Craiglist Saturday around 11 a.m. and it had already been posted since the night before. I called the guy anyway and he told me that he had gotten a lot of calls on it, but hadn't promised it to anyone yet, so I asked him if he would promise it to me and he said sure! I then had to ruin Ryan and his dad's Saturday and send them out to Banning to pick it up for me, but I think it's worth it for this free little gem! The tuner comes tomorrow. I'm curious to see what he has to say about it! Maylan's already learned how to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on it and I've been able to pick out "I Am A Child of God". So anyway, that's our piano (my dad really wanted to see it). If all goes well, it will someday be replaced with something much more beautiful, but until then, we'll enjoy the heck out of it!

0 comments: