Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Brandon's Toe Tragedy (In Maylan's words...)

We then went into the poster aisle. There were things like posters that said, “I threw my kids out because the dog was allergic.” I thought they were funny. There were also some mirrors and… Brandon picked one up and the glass part fell through onto poor Brandon’s toe! It cut the toenail and some skin. There was a lot of blood. In fact, there was a small puddle of blood on his shoe.
Mom took him to the doctor. He put on some sani-strips and this strange liquid. The doctor said that Brandon’s toenail would fall off. Poor Brandon. I gave him one of my stuffed animals. The doctor also recceomended that he shoulden’t walk so we had to carry him everywhere. We have to get him everything too.
The doctor’s appointment was $30. But it was worth it to know that my brother was going to be okay. When we got home the tragity seemed to be over, so we celibrated by eating pizza and watching Wipeout. The End.

So Maylan's story pretty much sums up what happened. It was such an interesting event in her life that she had to write a book about it. Her school library has a section where they put books that kids have written and she's hoping to get hers included there.
As for Brandon, he's recovering quite nicely but still feels awfully sorry for himself this morning. He can walk around now and I'm sure he'll be just fine. This was the first major trauma requiring a trip to the doctor that my kids have ever suffered. I probably could have dealt with it at home myself, but it looked so terrible and the doctors office was still open, so we thought it would be better to let him look at it. I'm grateful he didn't need stitches. The moral of this story: don't ever play with the mirrors at the dollar store!

4 comments:

Cheri' said...

Poor Brandon! That looks terrible. We had a toe incident when a brick fell on Lexie's. I thought she would lose the nail but it is starting to look better. Good thing he didn't need stitches.

Erika said...

Oh, that story is too cute. I especially love the "deluxe edition" part on the cover. Hope his toes heals quick and that her book gets in the Library! And I will definitely stay away from dollar store mirrors.

The Monson Crew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Monson Crew said...

Ouch! Poor guy! I love Maylan's version. I would love to read more of her stories.