Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Happy Birthday and Happy Rodeo!

This past weekend we celebrated Ryan's 34th birthday. His birthday this year happened to fall on the same weekend as the rodeo in St. George so we decided that would be a great place and a great way to spend his birthday. No one was disappointed. I went to the rodeo every year growing up and have many fond memories of it. After this year, I have a few more memories to add! For all things a little bit new and different to him, Ryan must dress up. This includes rodeos. His get-up this year had him sporting elephant skin boots and belt, a super-tight pink and orange and purple striped cowboy shirt (with snaps, of course) and a new addition for this year: a mustache! Next year he plans on adding authentic Wranglers and a hat.

Blowing out his birthday candles pre-rodeo but already in character. He couldn't eat any cake because he didn't want to get the mustache dirty.
The kids also had a little western garb on for the rodeo, but theirs was a little more cute! Poor Marissa didn't get boots or a hat, but she didn't seem to mind.
Posing along the rail with dad after the show.
I should have taken more pictures before it got too dark, but you get the idea. Ryan was also a little concerned that his mustache looked crooked. He got a lot of attention walking around. The rest of his outfit wasn't out of place at all, but the mustache put him a little over the top! It was funny to walk a few feet behind him and watch people's reactions as he passed by. Lot's of pointing and snickering and even a few debates about whether or not it was real!

Getting ready for the action to begin. The kids watched every part of the rodeo quite intently, even Marissa. It was fascinating for them.

Uncle David telling Marissa what to watch for.

Ben, Ryan and Matt.

My dad tried to avoid being seen with Ryan the whole night, but I got a picture of them together!

Marissa didn't avoid grandpa and spent most of the night on his lap. She also spent a good portion of the night with her other Grandpa Terry because he and Ryan's mom also joined us for the rodeo this year. No one wanted to miss out!

Playing on the rails after the rodeo. No one seemed in any hurry to leave after it was over. Those cowboys in St. George know how to put on a good show. Everyone's favorite parts were the bull riding and the clowns. Perhaps we'll make this a new tradition! (Just kidding, dad!)

5 comments:

Shelly said...

bahahaha Jeff wishes he was as cool as Ryan - wish we would have been there and sad we missed out.

The Ferry Bunch said...

HILARIOUS!!You guys better get twice as much fun out of that get up. Are you coming to the rodeo this year?? It is Friday!!

Cheri' said...

I was cracking up over Ryan's pictures so much that I called Dave over to see them also. Soooo funny! So Dave's Dad was in your ward last week. I forgot to mention it. Lexie wanted to come out there with him, so bad but he ended up having to spend the night. Not sure if you were in town, he said he didn't recognize anyone!

Ashley Ferguson Moreno said...

I don't think Ryan should limit his mustache to rodeos. I think the ward members would feel very left out if they didn't get a glimpse:)

Erika said...

Hahahah! I LOVE it! It's awesome!