Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Belize

Our second stop was the beautiful country of Belize. Even though we still had overcast, rainy weather, Belize was amazing. It has the biggest coral reef in the Western Hemisphere and is famous for its snorkeling and diving, so we decided to give it a try. Of course, we didn't book our little excursion through the cruise ship. We knew we'd find a better deal on our own, which we did. Our "deal" just happened to be on this boat:


They crammed no less than 44 people onto that little boat to bounce over the waves. We were all best friends by the time the trip was over.

I didn't get any pictures of the snorkeling, but it was beautiful. After we were done snorkeling, they took us to a small private island for lunch and some beach time. The pictures don't do this island justice. It was marshy and green and full of mangroves and sand crabs scurrying all over the boardwalk.

The sea and the clouds were almost exactly the same color, which made me wonder what color the sea would be if the sun were out. I loved this lone little tree way off shore.

They had some rustic accomodations for those who wanted to stay on the island. They were these little one-room beach shacks with a weathered deck over the water. It would definitely be a unique place to stay.

And Ryan and I on the boardwalk between the beach and the little town. I told him to put his shirt on, but it wasn't happening... Anyway, Belize was beautiful and I would love to have more time to spend there.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Hey, we went on a cruise to Cozumel, Progresso and Belize a few years ago. We didn't go to Tulum though, we went to Chichen Itza. I was sad we couldn't go to Tulum as well! Looks like fun! In Belize we went tubing down a river in the rain forest and through some caves.

Boyd said...

wow, how did you pull off a vacation with 3 kids!?
we have a hard time just finding someone to watch our 2 for just one evening.
looks like you guys had a great time and saw a lot of cool stuff!